Wednesday 18 May 2016

Studio Yukiko + Hort - Berlin

HORT in Berlin have given a task for us to undertake, which is to create a poster for them. The best people will be allowed to visit the studio and hopefully talk to Eike Konig.

The studio was founded in 1994 and has produced fantastic graphic design ever since. A chance to visit the studio would be very exciting and educational.

I came up with an idea whilst watching a documentary on the studio. At the very end there is a short clip of Eike designing a poster for a recent international football match where Germany beat Brazil 7-1, letting me know that he is a fan of football and somewhat patriotic.

In 1994, the year HORT was founded, a world cup was played in the United States, in which Germany played in what is arguably the best kit design they have ever had. I produced a poster revolving around this by layering cut card in the shapes depicted on the kit.



I displayed the type as if HORT were a player, using Sabon- a serif font that has a traditional feel which reflects the traditional printing methods that HORT employ. I used the number 94 to reflect the important year. 

In person the poster looked great, with the layered card sitting on top of each other creating an interesting depth to it. However when scanned in (we had to send digital files), the colours changed and the shapes warped somewhat. Since this was a day brief I didn't have the time to make any real alterations, but I still think that the idea was strong. 


Also in Berlin is Studio Yukiko, the design studio that is responsible for Flaneur magazine, a striking magazine which I picked up in Village Bookstore during a magazine Launch (LAW) where myself and Kieran Walsh mingled with the designers and contributors. The book is fantastic and is designed in a way far different than anything else I have seen. I would love to spend some time at their studio, so if I do go to Berlin I will definitely give them a visit. I have sent them an email requesting some of their time, but have yet to hear back so far. 




No comments:

Post a Comment